Properly cooked jacket potatoes are tasty, and most importantly healthy. Since the peel in the pulp retains a greater amount of vitamins and minerals. It prevents the healing properties of the root crop, which makes the dish more useful than just boiled potatoes. Boiled potatoes in peel improves metabolic processes, protects against infectious diseases and viruses, stabilizes blood sugar and positively affects the functioning of the nervous system. It is put in salads and consumed as a side dish. It is delicious with melted butter, green onions, and especially with light-salted herring. However, no matter how simple this dish may seem, to cook it correctly so that the peel does not crack, and the potatoes are completely cooked, not many housewives get it. If you know the cooking technology and all the secrets, then with such a treat you can surprise the most spoiled gourmets.
- For salads, cook potatoes in uniform from varieties that contain a minimum of starch, then the pulp will not crumble during cooking. For a regular dish, potatoes with an average starch content are suitable, as it tastes better. It is better not to use too starchy tubers (usually late varieties), since the pulp crumbles during cooking, and the dish looks ugly.
- The size of the tubers for cooking in the peel is small and medium. Large potatoes boil longer, while often poorly boiled inside.
- Choose all the potatoes of about the same size and the same grade. Different tubers must be pulled out of the water at different times so that small ones are not digested.
- Soft, sprouted or greened potatoes are not suitable for cooking, as such contain a harmful substance - solanine, which accumulates near the peel.
- Calorie content per 100 g - 78 kcal.
- Servings Per Container - 3-5 pcs.
- Cooking time - 45 minutes
- Potatoes - 3-5 pcs. medium size
- Bay leaf - 1-2 pcs.
- Salt - 1 tsp
Step-by-step cooking of jacket potatoes, recipe with photo:
1. Wash potatoes of a lonely size and put in a pan. Pour the tubers with water so that it completely covers the potatoes above 3-4 cm. Since when boiling, part of the water evaporates. And during the cooking process, it is impossible that certain parts of the potatoes are dry, otherwise they will become tasteless.
2. Add salt. It affects the taste and protects the potatoes from cracking the peel and boiling. Also put a bay leaf, it will give aroma and taste. You can still put any spices and roots that will give an additional aroma and taste: cloves, onions, garlic, allspice peas ...
3. On high heat, bring the potatoes to a boil, reduce the flame power to minimum, cover the pan with a lid and cook the potatoes. Cooking time depends on the size of the tubers: small and young will be ready in 20 minutes, medium and large, to reach the desired condition, 30-45 minutes from the moment of boiling are enough. Readiness of the vegetable, check the puncture of a wooden stick, it should easily pierce the tuber to the middle. Check availability as few times as possible, as with each new puncture some of the nutrients are boiled. For the same reason, do not use a fork and knife to check readiness, as they leave more punctures.
When the tubers are cooked, remove the pan from the stove and drain the water. Throw the potatoes in a colander to dry. If you prepare it for a salad, then immediately fill it with cold water for several minutes, it will be easier to remove the peel. If you cook potatoes in their uniforms for a separate dish, then let them just cool.
See also the video recipe on how to cook jacket potatoes.
Jacket potatoes are not only a delicious dish, they are part of many recipes: salads, okroshka and so on. Since it is cooked in a peel, more nutrients remain inside than in a peeled one. But also a lot of starch remains. Its calorie content is 87 calories per 100 grams. It would seem that there is nothing easier than boiling potatoes in their skins. But in fact, you need to know a lot of subtleties in order for everything to work out. In this article, we will show you how to cook potatoes in their skins in a pot, slow cooker, double boiler, and also in a microwave.
The secrets of cooking potatoes in their skins
Varieties with a low starch content are best suited for cooking. These are tubers of oblong shape of brown color, with a yellow middle. They are the least digested. High starch varieties can be boiled during cooking. And if you reduce the cooking time, the middle will remain raw.
- Aluminum and enameled dishes are not suitable for cooking, it can darken. It is better to use a stainless steel or teflon-coated pan.
- To reduce the risk that the potato will break up, you can add a pinch of citric acid to the water or twice as much salt as usual.
- For salad, olivier, okroshka and other dishes, you need to boil the potatoes in the same way as for the side dish.
- There is no particular difference in which water to boil potatoes. But so that it does not stick together when chopped, it must be thrown into boiling water.
- As fast as possible, large potatoes are cooked in the microwave in a bag. Medium and small can be cooked without a bag, but be sure to add water, otherwise you will get another dish - baked potatoes.
How to cook potatoes in their skins in a saucepan
This recipe with a photo will help you cook the jacket potatoes on the stove correctly.
We will need potatoes, water and salt.
Thoroughly wash root vegetables in water. If necessary, use a metal scraper, but we take care not to damage the peel.
We send the potatoes to the pan, fill with water so that it covers the tubers completely. Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
We put the pan on the stove and turn on the intense fire.
As soon as the water boils, cover the pan with a lid and turn down the heat. After boiling, boil the potatoes in their skins for 20-25 minutes over medium heat. Cooking time depends on the size of the tubers. Readiness is best checked with a toothpick.
Serve the finished potatoes better than hot, pouring it with vegetable oil (preferably unrefined). If desired, sprinkle with herbs or crushed garlic.
How to cook potatoes in their skins in a slow cooker
In a slow cooker, jacket potatoes are cooked according to the same principle as in a pan. In our step-by-step instructions, you will see how simple it is.
For cooking, take potatoes, water and salt.
First you need to wash the vegetable in running water. Particularly contaminated places can be rubbed with a brush or scraper, while not violating the integrity of the peel.
We lay tubers in a multicooker bowl. Pour water so that it covers them up to about half. Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
In the multi-cooker Redmond, we cooked for 45 minutes on the Cooking mode. You can also use the "Extinguishing" mode for 1 hour.
How to cook potatoes in their skins in the microwave
In this way, it is convenient and quick to cook tubers of small and medium size.
For cooking, you need to take potatoes and water. Salt is added as desired.
My potatoes in running water.
We take any dishes suitable for the microwave and send clean tubers there. Fill with cold water about half. If desired, water can be slightly salted.
We put the dishes with potatoes in the microwave and cover.
Cook at maximum power (1000 W) for 5 minutes. Cooking time depends on the total weight of the potato: the more it is, the more minutes it will take.
How to cook potatoes in their skins in a double boiler
So that the potato in its jacket does not boil, you can cook it in a double boiler. It is very easy!
We will need potatoes and water.
Rinse the tubers thoroughly in running water. If necessary, with three scraper, but so that the skin remains intact.
Pour water into the appropriate compartment of the double boiler.
We spread the washed tubers in a bowl of a double boiler. They should not be in contact with each other. If necessary, you can use several tiers.
Turn on the double boiler for 40 minutes.
- So that the tubers are better cleaned, immediately after cooking, you can lower them into cold water. But this slightly reduces the taste.
- If, when slicing for a salad, the potato still sticks to the knife, then it must be moistened with cold water. Then you can cut everything into even cubes.
Other site materials
In fact, even a novice housewife can make jam, if she uses our recipe with step-by-step photos.
A great dessert that will appeal to both adults and children. In addition, this jam is incredibly beneficial for the body.
Cook best in filtered water. Why? All answers in our photo recipe
Step by step recipe with photo
Jacket boiled potatoes are used in a huge number of dishes! This is one of the recipes that every budding chef has to master. For those old kitchen wolves who haven't thought about how to cook potatoes in their skins for a couple of decades, I won't tell you anything new. The lines that I write, I am addressing, one might say, to myself - young. Well, to all those who are frantically looking on the Internet, how much to cook potatoes in their skins.
My dear, I, unfortunately, cannot give you an exact answer to this burning question either. Just because it does not exist. But at least I’ll explain what you need to pay attention to, so that the potatoes are cooked without problems, do not crack and do not remain solid inside.
Are you still wondering how to cook this damn potato in these damned uniforms? Well then read on. I will explain verbose, but, I hope, it is clear. I will explain everything that, unfortunately, no one explained to me, but it greatly facilitates the life of a novice cook!
How much to cook potatoes in their skins depends on many factors, starting from the type of potato and ending with what conditions and how long it was stored. This I do not talk about the stove and pot! But the most important is the size of the potatoes.
Look at this photo where I sorted the contents of one bag of store potatoes. I think it’s absolutely obvious that the largest are about twice as large as the smallest potatoes. So, cooking them together is by no means necessary. Because at the same cooking time, either small ones will crack, or large ones will not be ready. Before cooking, they need to be sorted and boiled potatoes of approximately the same caliber. I’m taking a small one - half a kilo bag. If your potato is dirty, then before you start cooking it must be washed.
Try to place the potatoes in the pan as evenly as possible. Pour in water so that the potato is completely covered with it, and at the same time the water does not stand flush with the edge of the pan. Because otherwise the water will splash when boiling.
Jacket potatoes are cooked under the lid. Without a lid, it will boil longer and cook. When to salt the potatoes in their skins? You know, for some recipes (for everything in which it is mashed or squeezed through the press), you do not need to salt it at all. For salads or fried potatoes - you need it. Salt the potatoes after boiling. Why is it salted? Firstly, for taste, and secondly, so that it does not boil. Salted potatoes are more dense.
Now about the estimated time of cooking potatoes in their skins.
These small ones, in one layer, about the length of a little finger and a little more, from an easily digestible variety, I cook 25 minutes after boiling over medium heat. If there were two layers - the total cooking time would increase, because such an amount of water would boil longer, is it logical? But from the moment of boiling I would cook them the same 25 minutes.
If the potatoes were very large, not small - I would cook them up to 50 minutes from the moment of boiling.
If there was a non-digestible variety, it would have to be cooked longer than a non-digestible variety.
That's why you can’t say exactly how much to cook potatoes in their skins. It depends on the potato. And even from the pot and from the stove. You’ll have to deal with your potatoes, pot and stove on your own, and don’t listen to me with my “25 minutes for shallow”!
But then how do you know that a potato is ready? They pierce her with a knife. Be sure to use a knife with a sharp tip, not a rounded one. And for this sample, the largest potatoes are chosen. The knife should be poked deeply, that way to the middle (especially important for very large potatoes), and it should go into the boiled potato gently, smoothly, without stress. If large potatoes are soft inside, then all the potatoes are ready.
After cooking, jacket potatoes should be allowed to stand in hot water, but without boiling, for about five to ten minutes. After that, it is easier to clean.
After draining the water, too, ideally, the potatoes should be allowed to stand and cool so that they can be taken in hand without being burned. Potatoes can cool for half an hour. If you don’t have so much time, pour cold water on it.
There are recipes for which jacket potatoes are needed immediately after cooking, very hot, not cold. In this case, it is convenient to clean, prick on the plug.
I hope I managed to help you figure out how to cook potatoes in their skins.