Irritability, mood swings, abdominal and lower back pain, increased appetite shortly before the onset of “these days” is a picture sadly familiar to most girls and women. But although PMS is very common and familiar to many, discomfort should not be tolerated. To make your life easier in this period is quite real. For example, if the reason is rooted in a lack of vitamins and minerals, taking the right complexes will help get rid of physical and emotional discomfort.
In this article, we will talk in detail about the forms and factors of the development of PMS, and also tell you how to get rid of pain and mood jumps.
No. 1. Go to the doctor
Listen to yourself. Try to keep a diary for 4-6 months in which you clearly describe your emotional experiences and physical sensations.
Contact your gynecologist. After examining your “mood”, the doctor will be able to understand whether this is PMS and will help in choosing medications, diets, and will tell you which regimen should be observed in the premenstrual period.
In addition, the doctor may prescribe oral contraceptives, vitamin preparations, and nutritional supplements.
No. 2. Change nutrition
Very often you can get rid of PMS without resorting to medication. To do this, it is enough to refrain from bad eating habits at least 10 - 7 days before the onset of menstruation:
- Limit your intake of sugar, salt, coffee, strong tea and do not exceed the required daily amount of liquid - 1.5 liters per day (it is better if it is mineral water and unsweetened juices)! Excess fluid in the body leads to painful swelling of the chest and swelling.
- Alcohol is also harmful. It enhances hunger, headache, irritability.
- Forget foods that contain artificial additives and flavors.
- Beware of large amounts of animal fats, as they are the main source of cholesterol, the excess of which contributes to the disruption of blood circulation. But dishes of fish, poultry or lean beef will come in handy.
- Replace the butter with vegetable. Do not limit yourself to fresh vegetables and fruits, as they contain the necessary vitamins, minerals, fiber. By the way, vitamins of groups A and D improve the condition of the skin and prevent the appearance of acne during PMS. And vitamin E relieves pain in the mammary glands and relieves depression.
No. 3. Lead a healthy lifestyle
Exercising increases the stamina of the body, and this is important in the fight against premenstrual syndrome.
Therefore, take a week break in night work, try to sleep at least 8 hours in a well-ventilated room, and before going to bed, take a contrast shower.
The fewer cigarettes you smoke, the easier PMS will be. Scientists have long proved that nicotine significantly worsens the course of premenstrual syndrome.
Yoga and breathing exercises are great for headaches in PMS. For example, sit in Turkish and, gently raising your hands up, take a deep breath. When your arms are above your head, hold the air for a few seconds. Then, slowly lowering your hands, exhale.
Why does the mood change before menstruation?
Bad mood on critical days - has long been turned into an occasion for ridicule and jokes. The girls themselves are joking about it. So what to do? It’s impossible to overcome irritability - you need to make fun of it, it’s easier to live.
A bad mood before menstruation and during menstruation is the result of physiological fluctuations in the hormonal background in the blood. Analyze your relationship with a man. When do you most often “sort out” relationships, and when do you have nervous breakdowns (large and small)? I can answer you - after ovulation, during which the mood is good and upbeat. You are ready to "roll mountains", work and bring beauty to the world. Only a few days pass and everything changes dramatically. The slightest deviation from life plans causes aggression and it is not a matter of character, but hormones. A sharp change in mood and its differences are not observed in all girls.
The period when fluctuations begin in the state is different for everyone. A change in mood can occur a week before critical days, or 2-3 days.
With the release of the egg (mid-cycle), the level of estrogen, luteinizing hormone, FSH drops sharply. And progesterone is gradually growing, preparing the body for pregnancy.
Estrogen decreases most sharply and has a more pronounced wobble on the female body. Such a change in the hormonal background provokes coldness in bed, a sharp change in mood towards deterioration, a decrease in working capacity and memory, and attention. Due to the sharp decline, there are also unpleasant sensations, which are usually called symptoms of PMS. Severe headache, insomnia, fatigue, loss of strength, nervous tension, unpleasant aching sensations in the legs and the whole body (due to the accumulation of fluid in the body) can join.
Progesterone - stimulates the growth of the endometrium, preparing the uterus for fertilization. There is pain in the lower abdomen, discomfort, difficulties with the act of defecation may appear. Liquid is retained in the body, weight begins to increase, and mood deteriorates. There is an increase in appetite.
In the bursting follicle (in which the egg matured), cells grow that synthesize progesterone.
That is why during menstruation a bad mood. And menstruation itself is not a pleasant phenomenon. Nevertheless, the beginning of a new cycle - the first day or two eases the condition and the mood begins to level out.
Irritation before menstruation: how to cope and what to do?
Of course, not everyone was lucky to have an understanding spouse who can alleviate a nervous condition and overcome irritability during menstruation, protect from “female” troubles and avoid tearfulness.
How to help yourself? First of all, you need to learn how to live with it, as, for example, people with diabetes live. They adapt, they just have a different lifestyle.
Those who have a disgusting mood with PMS need to take into account:
- Every woman, girl knows the time when she begins to have mood swings, so plan all responsible matters and making decisions for other days of the cycle. It will not be possible to plan completely, but you will be able to complete some of the important tasks, avoiding possible conflicts with loved ones and others.
- Admit to yourself (if you have not already done so) that menstruation affects your mood. Tell someone you trust about this. Support - it will not hurt. A person will always react with understanding and, possibly, will take some of the worries on himself at "this time." And you just rest.
- To overcome fatigue and reduce the severity of symptoms of an approaching menstruation for a long period - sign up for fitness. Training is a great opportunity to "pour" aggression on soulless iron, get a boost of energy and positive emotions, normalize metabolic processes. Regular exercises contribute to the release of hormones of "joy." In tandem with proper nutrition, this will help to cope with a bad mood before menstruation. In addition, muscle load helps get rid of fluid retention in the body.
- Remove “evil” foods from the diet: salt, caffeine, spicy seasonings, pickles and smoked meats. Before menstruation, eat foods high in phytoestrogens: legumes and soy products, meat, fish, milk, flax seeds, red grapes.
- Try talking to family members. First, they have the right to know what usually happens to you every month. Secondly, you have the right to understanding and support from them.
- There are no pills for a good mood before menstruation. There is dark chocolate containing the “hormone of happiness” - serotonin and tea with mint or lemon balm, which relieves irritability.
What to do to the man?
Try to accept the fact that a sweet and beloved creature is not so sweet. When they say that girls are hostages of hormones - this is true.
Aggression, temper, tearfulness, nervousness, bitchiness - the visiting card of PMS. Therefore, do not let the woman ruin your relationship with you. Critical days are a difficult period, the girl’s nervous state can be transmitted to everyone around. Pay a little more attention at this time to your beloved - she will appreciate, maybe not right away, but she will definitely understand and will be grateful to you.
Conflict is brewing? Do not go aside as if you do not notice the changes. So you will provoke a new portion of bad mood. Make it clear that you are aware of the fact that it is not easy for her now. If you have kids, go to the park, circus, etc. and leave your woman alone with a bar of chocolate on the couch. Let her sleep longer in the morning than usual.
Tips for each case should be individual. Therefore, only you can decide what to do in a particular situation and avoid a nervous breakdown.
Pain during PMS: localization and causes
According to various sources, from 75 to 90% of women experience premenstrual syndrome. For all, it is expressed to varying degrees: some feel only a little discomfort, which they are used to not paying attention to, while others suffer from severe pain. This condition requires mandatory diagnosis to determine the causes and subsequent treatment. But more often, PMS occurs in mild or moderate form: pains are moderate, however, in conjunction with psycho-emotional disorders, they disturb the usual course of life.
Moreover, in different women, pain with PMS have different localization, nature, accompanying manifestations. In this regard, it is customary to distinguish several forms of premenstrual syndrome.
- Cephalgic. Headache comes to the forefront, constant or in the form of seizures, sometimes quite intense. Often nausea and vomiting occur, sensitivity to odors increases, pains in the heart area, irritability and reduced emotional background are noted. Headache with PMS can occur like a migraine.
- Edematous. It is characterized by slow excretion of fluid from the body, manifested primarily by swelling and tenderness of the mammary glands. Also swelling of the face, legs (especially shins), hands. A woman notes bloating, the scales show an increase of 1-2 kg. There may be complaints of excessive sweating, itchy skin, general weakness, and malaise.
- Psycho-vegetative. The picture is dominated by emotional disturbances of a different nature. We will talk about it a little lower.
The above division is conditional: all these forms are rarely found in isolated form, usually the manifestations are mixed. Most often, with PMS, the head, lower abdomen, lower back hurts, the mammary glands swell and become sensitive.
It is known that pain in PMS is associated with changes in the hormonal background. In the second phase of the cycle, progesterone levels decrease, and estrogen production, on the contrary, rises. This, in particular, may be the answer to the question of why headache hurts when PMS occurs and swelling occurs. The engorgement of the mammary glands causes an excess of prolactin produced by the pituitary gland in the luteal phase.
Why does premenstrual syndrome occur at different intensities? It can be assumed that the reason is in the individual reaction of the female body to hormonal changes. In addition, there are factors that undoubtedly contribute to the painful manifestations of PMS. It:
- over 30 years old
- hormonal imbalance caused by various reasons,
- gynecological diseases
- frequent deliveries and abortions,
- disorders in the functioning of the endocrine glands (in particular, thyroid disease),
- nervous system diseases
- frequent or prolonged stress
- bad habits,
- sedentary lifestyle,
- lack of certain vitamins and minerals (e.g. magnesium, zinc, vitamin B6).
PMS usually occurs 7-10 days before the onset of menstruation, and with the onset of discharge, all uncomfortable sensations pass. But for many girls and women, pain in the early days of menstruation is also typical. They are most often localized in the lower abdomen and in the lumbar region.
Although pain with PMS in the early days of menstruation is very common and usually does not indicate a serious pathology, this does not mean that they need to be endured. Medicine knows the ways that help get rid of the pain syndrome or, at least, reduce its manifestations - so that in “these days” and in the period preceding them, the woman’s life is as full as ever.
Why does mood change and appetite increase during PMS?
In addition to pain, a lot of anxiety for women is brought by other components of the premenstrual syndrome: increased appetite and uncontrolled mood swings. This is a psycho-vegetative form of PMS, which we have already mentioned. Some women with PMS are annoyed, others may experience depression, depression, become overly touchy, tearful. Typical for the psycho-vegetative form are weakness, sleep disorders (insomnia at night and drowsiness during the day), memory impairment, decreased concentration, and decreased libido. Possible gastrointestinal disorders: constipation, flatulence, nausea. There are usually no severe pains, but pain sensitivity is exacerbated.
To understand whether it is possible to deal with these violations, you need to understand their causes.
Doctors still cannot give a definite answer to the question why during PMS mood and appetite change. But most of the hypotheses put forward say that the nature of both phenomena is hormonal. Most likely, a decrease in estrogen synthesis and increased progesterone production in the second phase of the cycle affect the psychoemotional sphere.
One of the important regulators of mood and appetite is considered to be serotonin, which is popularly called the hormone of happiness in popular literature. With its deficiency, depression occurs, a tendency to overweight appears. A large effect on the balance of serotonin is estrogen. In the second phase of the cycle, their production decreases sharply. Accordingly, the level of serotonin also decreases. A woman becomes irritable, feels unmotivated anxiety, or a depressed mood is observed. The lack of serotonin can partly explain why I constantly feel hungry during PMS.
Excess progesterone has side effects in the form of fatigue and depression. Against this background, a craving for sweets may occur.
There is an opinion about the psychological causes of increased appetite for PMS. The decline in mood due to imbalance in hormones forces a woman to seek a source of pleasure from outside, and they become food. It is no accident that in the period preceding menstruation, one often wants sweets: it is primarily associated with positive emotions. That is, according to this hypothesis, the usual “seizing” of anxiety, depression, irritation, and causeless longing occurs.
Another suggestion relates increased appetite for PMS with the preparation of the body for a possible pregnancy. Hormonal rearrangement causes a series of complex biochemical processes, as a result of which the center of hunger in the brain is irritated and there is an irresistible desire to eat.
Whichever of these hypotheses is true, it is clear that the hormonal factor underlies psychoemotional and behavioral changes. It turns out that all the changes that occur in the body during PMS: pain, and bad mood, and irrepressible appetite - are closely interconnected, which means that you need to act on them in a complex.
PMS: what to do with pain and mood swings?
Since the clinical picture of PMS is diverse, there is no universal cure for it. Typically, women, on their own or as prescribed by a doctor, resort to symptomatic therapy that temporarily eliminates certain manifestations: pain, swelling, psycho-emotional discomfort.
But the constant use of painkillers and sedatives is not an option. It makes sense to influence the factors predisposing to the occurrence of PMS, - and in a complex way.
In severe cases of premenstrual syndrome, the doctor, according to the results of a thorough diagnosis, can prescribe hormonal drugs. But this is a radical decision, which should be resorted to only with serious evidence. Before taking such potent drugs, you must definitely undergo a full examination with the study of hormonal status.
There are simpler and safer solutions that you can apply on your own, without going to the doctor and a long diagnosis. Normalization of lifestyle and nutrition, competent intake of multivitamin supplements in accordance with the phases of the cycle gently correct hormonal imbalances and help to improve well-being, without causing side effects. Below are recommendations on how to get rid of pain with PMS and solve problems with mood and appetite.
- Reception of vitamin and mineral complexes. Vitamin deficiency is an important factor in the development of PMS. Компенсировать его помогают специально составленные ВМК. Важно, чтобы в их составе не было фитогормонов — веществ растительного происхождения, обладающих гормональной активностью. Рекомендуется отдавать предпочтение циклической витаминотерапии, компоненты которой подобраны по фазам цикла.Such complexes take into account the changing needs of the female body for vitamins and minerals as much as possible.
- Healthy eating. Try to eat as many fresh vegetables and fruits rich in vitamins and fiber as possible. Complex carbohydrates - whole grain bread, cereals, will help to cope with increased appetite. Avoid fatty foods and fast food: they lead not only to overweight, but also to skin problems. If edema is a concern, it is recommended that you limit your salt intake. In case of headaches and mood swings, it is worth excluding products with an exciting effect on the nervous system: coffee, strong tea, alcohol, chocolate. It is also necessary to establish a diet: you should take food fractionally, 5-6 times a day in small portions.
- Physical activity. Dosed loads support the body in good shape, eliminate excess calories, increase the level of serotonin and endorphins, which means they help improve mood. Useful running, walking, swimming, dancing, yoga.
- Correct mode. If possible, try to relax more, spend time in the fresh air, go to bed and wake up at a certain time, and take at least 8 hours of sleep a day.
Pain, swelling, and abrupt mood swings are typical companions for approaching critical days, and many women are used to seeing them as inevitable. But enduring PMS is not necessary, especially since there are effective and safe ways to improve well-being. A healthy lifestyle, proper nutrition and the intake of special vitamin and mineral complexes will help reduce discomfort before menstruation in order to live a full life regardless of the days of the cycle.
Vitamin complex for women
In the female body, a lot depends on the menstrual cycle, including the need for vitamins and minerals. In different phases of the cycle, the need for vitamins is different. So, at the beginning of the cycle, the body most of all needs vitamins of group B, D3, folic acid, which regulate the production of estrogen. Of the trace elements in this period, selenium, manganese, and zinc are needed. In the second, luteal, phase, the need for vitamins C, A, E, contributing to the synthesis of progesterone, as well as in copper and iodine increases.
The vitamin-mineral complex Cyclovita® was created taking into account these features of the female body. This is a patented dietary supplement, created on the principle of cyclic vitamin therapy. The first part of the complex, Cyclovita 1, contains B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, pyridoxine, cyanocobalamin, nicotinic, pantothenic, folic acid), A, C, E, D3, lipoic acid, as well as zinc, selenium, manganese, rutin lutein. The composition of Cyclovit 2, in addition to the above vitamins and minerals, also includes copper and iodine. Dosages of the components of the first and second parts of the complex are balanced in accordance with the phases of the cycle.
Clinical studies have shown that taking this vitamin-mineral complex for 3 months helps to relieve PMS: headaches, swelling of the mammary glands are reduced, and the psychoemotional state is normalized. Also, women taking the complex, note that menstruation becomes regular and less painful. As a result of the normalization of hormonal balance, the condition of the skin and hair improves.
Cyclovita® does not contain phytohormones, which means it does not have side effects and can be used without a doctor’s prescription.
P. S. Cyclovita® dietary supplement is a patented vitamin-mineral complex for normalizing the menstrual cycle. Certificate of state registration No. TU 9197-026-00480684-10.
Unreasonable nervousness, tearfulness, short temper, aggression - typical manifestations of PMS.
Vitamins and minerals play an important role in maintaining the stable functioning of the organs of the female reproductive system.
An imbalance of hormones can cause pain during menstruation.
Hormones are responsible not only for the emotional state and well-being of a woman, but also for her appearance. This is especially true during menstruation.
The course intake of vitamins and minerals can facilitate the manifestations of PMS.
The vitamin-mineral complex CYCLOVITA ® was created specifically taking into account cyclical changes in the woman’s body and taking into account the differences in the needs of vitamins and minerals in the phases of the menstrual cycle.
- 1 https://medside.ru/pms-chto-eto-takoe-u-zhenshhin,
- 2 http://vlanamed.com/pms/,
- 3 Patent for invention No. 2443422
Vitamin and mineral complexes can help cope with mood swings and discomfort with premenstrual tension syndrome. However, it must be remembered: pain with PMS is not the norm and may indicate gynecological diseases. So, do not neglect the advice of a doctor.
Why are women irritable?
The behavior of the fairer sex changes a week before the start of the menstrual cycle. Absolutely calm earlier, she turns into an angry lioness. Romantically tuned in the evening, the next morning wakes up with a strong malaise. Bad mood, sudden depression speak of the onset of PMS.
Doctors unanimously argue that the cause of mood swings is an imbalance of estrogen and progesterone in the body. With a large number of the first, aggression is manifested. A bright selection of the second affects the increase in fatigue, depression. At this time occurs:
- stagnation of blood in the vessels,
- body weight increases
- pain appears in the chest area, it swells.
Hence the irritability, insomnia. In some cases, doctors are advised to drink pills aimed at relieving depression.
What are the mistakes of women
First of all, in the wrong diet. Limit the use of high-calorie foods. Bad mood is unacceptable to her. This will immediately affect the increase in body weight.
The second mistake is the rejection of a mobile lifestyle. Women believe that sports can be harmful. This opinion is erroneous. Time has shown that movement affects well-being, so move more. Daily walks relieve stress, balance hormones, and smooth out irritability.
Another mistake is the active struggle with overweight. PMS is marked by an increase in extra pounds. However, this phenomenon is temporary. No fight is required here, especially do not take pills that burn fat.
How to determine if a woman is prone to premenstrual syndrome
Each representative of the fairer sex is a person with characteristics inherent only to her. Does PMS affect depression? The change in mood depends on age, character traits, circumstances from the outside. To understand how PMS onset works and whether it affects at all, analyze if there are the following symptoms:
- depression, tension,
- there was sadness, apathy,
- a good mood turns into a bad one
- conflict situations are possible
- irritation comes from trifles,
- distraction is observed
- interest in something that recently occupied all my free time is lost,
- changes occur with appetite - it is lost or increased,
- fatigue occurs
- I want to sleep constantly or, conversely, insomnia torments.
If all or half of these symptoms are noticed, there is certainly a presence of PMS. A bad mood will have to pacify. Ask what to do for this? We must learn to live with this phenomenon.
Mood swings, and how to deal with them
In the life of every woman there were moments of transition from sadness to joy and vice versa. Sometimes it seems that the mood is uncontrollable during PMS. But is this really so? Scientists have proven that the instability of emotions is inherent in women equally, as well as men. However, this is especially pronounced before the start of the menstrual cycle. This phenomenon should not be taken for granted. If a choose the right approach to solving the problem, the mood can be controlled. First of all, it changes when hormones of joy are absent. It takes time to make up for serotonin, and the drops will go away.
Very often a woman experiences mental fatigue. She receives a lot of information, conducts versatile activities, there is no full rest. Where can a good mood come from? Often there are different fears, tormented by phobias. What to do in this situation:
- arrange a day of emotional discharge,
- do not use pills
- go out of town, turn off the phone, enjoy the surrounding nature.
Time will show that rest positively affects the mood, it becomes good and lasts for such a long period.
What to do with mood during PMS if stress takes a protracted character? It is impossible to bring to such a situation. Mood can get out of hand. Consult a doctor - he will prescribe antidepressant pills. Spend more time communicating with friends.
Does mood variability respond to treatment?
Some are of the opinion that a bad mood with PMS does not require special treatment. However, such a statement can be challenged. If you act on ICP in a complex way, you will need a whole group of measures. Irritability appears when some hormones are missing. Therefore, immediate replenishment is required. In nutrition, emphasis is placed on vitamins A, E, magnesium, calcium. A special diet is not used, but weight must be monitored. Frequent walks, running, swimming regulate mood swings with PMS. Avoid high caffeinated drinks.
What to do to recover quickly ??
When menstruation has not yet arrived, a little more than a week remains before they start, reduce salt intake. It should remain in the diet for about 3 g. The harm of salt is to retain fluid in the body. It increases breast sensitivity, adds extra weight. All these nuances affect mood swings, increase irritability before menstruation, and increase depression.
There are a few more tips:
- Try to relax more when you feel bad. Lie down with a book. Find another, more enjoyable pastime.
- What to do if exhausted mood swings? Drink a complex of vitamins.
- There are a number of herbs that, if properly brewed, can improve mood during PMS.
- Give up alcohol completely. It exacerbates the condition, affects the growth of negative thoughts.
- Do not eat a lot of chocolate. It destroys in the body a vitamin that fights fatigue.
- To avoid swelling, drink less liquid.
Try to relax more, walk in the fresh air. Do not show everyone how PMS affects mood, do not get annoyed once again.