In most cases, connecting to a Wi-Fi router is via a USB port. Some printers and MFPs also have a network interface that allows you to connect the device using an Ethernet cable. The third method used is to wirelessly connect to an existing network. In this case, the printer can also be connected to any of the home computers in a standard way.
Connecting the printer to the router via USB
The configuration of this method depends on the model of router you are using. Basic parameters are set in the web interface of the router, but for greater convenience and the ability to perform fine-tuning, there are special utilities. The most common routers that allow you to connect via USB: Asus and TP-Link.
Setting up on Asus routers
This manufacturer has developed a free program for finding a printer connected to a Wi-Fi router: “Printer Setup Utility”. It is available for download on the Asus website. There is also a list of models for which the correct operation is guaranteed when connected in this way. It includes the devices of the three largest companies:
To use the application for setting up network printing, run the downloaded file. Connect your computer to the router using Wi-Fi or through the LAN port. Insert the USB cable into the port on the router. Click “Next” in the program interface or press the “N” hot key on the keyboard.
Files necessary for the utility to work will be copied to the computer. After that, the search and determination of the devices connected to the USB port of the Asus router will begin. The process takes no more than two minutes. At the search stage, the “Cancel” button appears, with which the scan stops. Start the operation again if the program freezes.
At this point, the “Printer Setup Utility” functions may be blocked by the Windows Firewall. If a window with a warning about restricting access appears on the screen, check the box for the types of networks in which you want to allow the application to work. For home use, it is recommended to set both checkboxes: private and public networks. After that, click the “Allow access” button.
When the configuration is completed, the found IP address of the Asus router and its model will appear in the window. You can add the device found using the standard Windows installation. If errors occur, make sure that the Wi-Fi router and printer are plugged in and connected by cable. It is also recommended that you update the firmware using the manufacturer's instructions.
Note! If the “Isolation of access point” mode is set in the router settings, network devices will not have access to each other. These parameters are changed through the web interface of the router.
Installation for TP-Link Router
The application is available in the TP-Link Download Center. Select your Wi-Fi router model from the list or enter it in the search bar located in the upper left corner of the page. Install the “Utilities” filter and download “TP-Link USB Printer Controller” for your operating system. Open the downloaded file and after unpacking click “Next”.
Specify the path in the file system of the computer where the program will be installed. By default, installation is done in the Program Files directory. You can specify a different location using the "Change" button. Then click “Next” to go to the next step.
During installation, your Internet connection may be lost. The disconnection is required by the utility for the correct configuration of network parameters. Upon completion of the installation, the final window will open, in which the option “Launch USB Printer Controller” will be available. Check this box and click Finish to complete the installer.
A tree structure of the found network equipment will be displayed in the interface of the window that opens. Select the desired device from the list. Click "Auto-connect for printing" and mark the printer that will start by default.
Important! It is recommended that you set the print controller to automatically start each time the operating system boots. To do this, go to the menu "Tools -> Settings" and activate the first item.
Connecting a printer via Wi-Fi
Devices of popular manufacturers have a similar configuration system. As a rule, the parameters are set on the printer itself, without connecting to a computer. In the absence of a control interface on the case, system utilities are used, available on the driver disk and on the manufacturer’s website.
Most Canon PIXMA series models are connected using the WPS button on the front of the case. Press and hold it until the corresponding indicator starts flashing. After that, activate the Wi-Fi Protected Setup mode on the router. The interval between clicks should not exceed two minutes, since it is during this period of time that you can connect without entering a password. After connecting, the LED will stop flashing and will be lit continuously.
For Canon models with a built-in display, the connection is authenticated. In this case, you will need to enter the SSID (network name) and password from Wi-Fi. Network connection setup information can be printed. For example, for the popular MG3540, this is done by pressing and holding the Resume button.
Wireless connection to a Wi-Fi router is performed using the “HP Auto Wireless Connect” technology. Synchronization is done via WPS, without entering the PIN code of the router. The network setup tool also launches on the HP touch screen, in the Wireless Network menu. A feature of the HP MFP is the inability to access the “HP Auto Wireless Connect” for computers with static local IP.
Such devices only connect after changing the DHCP server settings. To avoid these difficulties, use a WPS connection. You can activate the WPS mode through the touch screen, or in the absence of it - by pressing the button.
Epson devices allow you to connect to networks with TKIP and AES encryption through the Wireless LAN Setup menu on the built-in screen. WPS connection is also available using the button or entering a PIN on the screen. To make such a connection, click the “PIN Code Mode” menu section.
The network name is set automatically in the format EPSON123456, where 123456 is the last 6 digits of the MAC address. Using it, you can find the device in the list of DHCP clients and determine the IP address assigned to it for further addition in the Windows interface.
Note! Most printers equipped with Wi-Fi only work in the 2.4 GHz band. When using a dual-band router, connect them to the network that operates at this frequency. If the computers from which you want to print information are connected at 5 GHz, change the connection before printing.
Adding a network printer in Windows
Open the Windows Control Panel. If the icon display mode is selected, go to the "Devices and Printers" section. When choosing the category mode, use the path: “Equipment and Sound -> View Devices and Printers”.
In this section, all external equipment connected to your computer is available. By default, devices that were used previously are displayed. Click "Add Printer" to connect to the new device.
The system will search for available printers and MFPs. If it does not produce results, enter the necessary data manually. Since the connection is made via a Wi-Fi router, check the second item: “Add by TCP / IP address”. Click the “Next” button to specify the parameters.
Advice! This configuration method is suitable for printers connected to the router via Ethernet or USB, as well as for devices connected to other computers on the local network.
From the drop-down list, select the type “TCP / IP”. In the "Name or Address" field, enter the IP of the connected device. You can refine this parameter in the control panel of the router. Log in to the web interface at the address indicated on the sticker at the bottom of the router. When entering, use the standard username and password, which are located in the same place.
Go to the “DHCP” menu section. Usually it is in the local area network (LAN) settings. Open the DHCP section, which shows the connected clients and the IP addresses assigned to them. At this point, you can use one of two connection options:
Using a network name. To do this, specify the host name in the DHCP client table, for example, “CanonMG3540”. Copy this name and paste it into the Windows Add Printer window.
Binding a static local address. To use this method, go to the appropriate DHCP configuration section and add a new match. Locate the printer, and in the IP Address field, enter the desired combination from the local range. For example, if the last connected computer has an address of 220.127.116.11, enter the following IP: 18.104.22.168.
Provide additional information about the port used. To do this, select the “Special” item and click “Options”. By default, the Raw protocol will be selected in a new window. However, most modern devices use "LPR". Mark it in the settings and specify an arbitrary queue name. Save the new parameters by clicking the “OK” button.
Select the manufacturer and model of the printer from the list on the right. You can also use the installation CD, if it was included in the purchase. To do this, click "Install from disk." When the driver installation is complete, click Next.
At the final step of the installation wizard, a notification about the successful completion of the process will open. It is recommended to check the box “Use this printer by default” in order to further avoid the need to select a device for each print. In the same window, verification of the connected device is available. To use it, click Print Test Page. Complete the installation by clicking the Finish button.
Option number 1: use the WPS function
If all computers work in your home or office through a router, then the easiest way is to connect the printer to your laptop via wi fi using the WPS function. Of course, to use this technology, you must have it both on the printer and on the router. Therefore, to begin with, let's make sure that it is on the devices.
Checking for WPS on the printer
On the printer, you can see the support for this technology in the instructions that are attached. Or open the official website on the Internet, find your model and see the description. You can also inspect the printer case for the presence of a button with a WPS icon.
We look at the presence of WPS on the router in two ways:
- Turning the router over, you will see a sticker, it will have a WPS icon on it, and on the contrary, the PIN code is written. In the future, we will need it to connect devices.
- The absence of an icon on the stickers does not mean that the router does not support this technology. Go into the settings of the router, find the WPS section, it is often located in the Wi-Fi (Wireless Network) item. If found, then everything is in order, he supports this function.
After making sure that both devices work in this mode, we proceed to the connection.
Wireless printer connection
To print wirelessly without using a wireless router, see the details here.
The printer supports at least one of the following wireless network connection methods:
HP Auto Wireless Connect
HP Auto Wireless Connect - HP Auto Wireless Connect is a technology that allows you to connect the printer to a wireless network automatically without using any cables and without having to enter a network name and password. Many new HP printer models will have this feature in a standard software installation.
To use this option, install the printer software and follow the on-screen instructions. When prompted, select the connection type “Network (Ethernet / Wireless)”, then select “Yes, send the wireless settings to the printer (recommended)”. Done! HP software completes the installation.
Not all computers or network settings are compatible with HP Auto Wireless Connect. In this case, an alternative method of setting up a wireless connection will be proposed. Compatibility with HP Auto Wireless Connect technology is subject to the following conditions:
- The presence of a computer running Windows Vista (or later) or Mac OS X 10.5 (or later).
- The computer uses a wireless network connection, and the operating system monitors the operation of the wireless adapter, which allows HP software to get the current network settings.
- The computer is connected to a 2.4 GHz network. NOTE. HP printers are not compatible with 5.0 GHz networks. The printer can also be connected to the network using other configuration methods, provided that the router also supports 2.4 GHz (most routers support). To learn more about this, go to the Routers section. This page provides additional customization methods.
- The computer does not use a static IP address
- The printer is in HP Auto Wireless Connect mode. Before connecting to the network, the printer will be in this mode for two hours from the moment it was first turned on during the installation process. TIP: If the printer has been turned on for more than two hours and the software has not yet connected the printer to a wireless network, you can reset this mode by using the Restore Network Settings or Restore Default Network Settings function on the printer control panel. You can do this in the Network menu by either tapping the wireless icon (or pressing a button), and then going to Settings or by clicking on the gear icon. For details on restoring network settings, see the printer documentation.
The ability to use the HP Auto Wireless Connect feature also depends on a number of other technical factors and environmental conditions.
If you were prompted to use the HP Auto Wireless Connect feature during the installation process, then this feature is the recommended setup method. At a certain stage of the setup, you need to temporarily disconnect the computer from the wireless network. At this stage, access to the Internet will be unavailable. Therefore, before proceeding with the configuration using this method, save the results of your work on the Internet and / or downloaded data.
If you were not prompted to use the HP Auto Wireless Connect feature during the installation process, or if this feature does not work correctly, you will be offered a different method for setting up a wireless connection.
WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)
WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) - WPS has two models for connecting devices wirelessly. One is called a “push of a button," and the second is called a "PIN." Pressing a button is an easier way. The following describes the connection in the mode of pressing the WPS button, the connection using the PIN code is not described.
See the printer manual for instructions on using the WPS function on the printer. However, to use the WPS button press mode, the following conditions must be met:
- The printer and the wireless router must support the WPS button mode. See the printer and wireless router manuals.
- The wireless router must have a WPS button.
- To ensure network security, you must use WPA or WPA2 technology. Most WPS wireless routers do not support WPS connection if WEP security technology is used or security is not configured.
- Most WPS wireless routers do not support WPS connectivity if you are using the network name provided by the manufacturer or if security is not configured.
To connect a wireless printer to a wireless router using WPS, follow these steps:
- On the printer, enable the WPS button press mode.
See the printer manual for instructions on using the WPS function on the printer.
- Hold the WPS button on the router for 2 minutes.
HP Wireless Network Setup Wizard (for touch screen printers)
Wireless Setup Wizard starts from the printer control panel. (Not available for printers without a touch screen).
- Ensure that the network name and security password (WEP, WPA, or WPA2) are known.
- From the printer control panel, go to the menu Network or tap the wireless icon, and then go to the settings. Select Wireless Setup Wizard. The Wireless Setup Wizard displays a list of available wireless networks.
Note. The settings button may be in the form of an icon with a wrench, depending on the model.
Wireless setup via USB (for printers without a touch screen)
Настройка беспроводной связи с помощью подключения USB - Принтеры без сенсорного экрана могут использовать этот метод настройки беспроводного подключения во время установки программного обеспечения принтера.
Во время установки временно подсоедините кабель USB к компьютеру и принтеру. Подключайте и отключайте кабель только по запросу программы, которая содержит инструкции настройки беспроводного подключения принтера.
In some cases, the program may automatically search for wireless settings.
To establish a wireless connection between the wireless printer and the wireless router using a USB connection, see Installing Printer Software
Method 1 - Using WPS
To use this method, connecting the controllers via a wifi router requires that both of these devices support Wifi Protected Setup (WPS) technology. For most modern device models, this requirement is met. But just in case, this should be checked. The fact that this model of PU supports this technology can be verified by studying the instructions for it, or by contacting the website of its manufacturer. Now take a look at the bottom of the router. Here is a shortcut on which the WPS icon and PIN code should be applied, which will be needed when connecting the control panel:
But such a shortcut may not exist, in this case we will see the WPS support by going to the web-based interface of the router. Moreover, even with such a shortcut, you still need to do this in order to configure WPS. Depending on the model of the router, access to its interface is usually done by typing in the address bar of the browser the address 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Where is the place with WPS settings in the menu that appears after this also depends on the model of the router. For example, we give an excerpt from the menu of one of the models of the D-Link router:
Configuring WPS consists of setting the switch to Enabled. In addition, you need to specify the router PIN in the Device PIN parameter. You also need to make sure that security such as WPA or WPA2 must be set up for the wireless network, but not WEP — it will not work. Even in the settings of the router, you need to disable MAC filtering. Some printers have a dedicated button to enable WPS. If there is one, you must press and hold it until the device detects a wireless network. If one of the devices is equipped with a connection indicator, then after connection it should light up.
Method 2 - using the connection wizard
Setting up a connection in this way is based on using the connection wizard. If the control unit supports a connection via a wireless network and WEP or WPA protocols, then, as a rule, you can connect it using the setup wizard. To do this, the user must know:
- Your network name (SSID).
- Password for your network (WEP encryption key or WPA password).
Connect the printer via wifi using the wizard with the following steps:
- Press the “Settings” button in the control panel of the control panel and select the “Network” element in the menu that appears. The connection wizard will search for all available wireless networks and display a list of them.
- In this list, select your wifi network. If it is not in the list, then you need to enter its name manually.
- Next, the wizard will ask you to enter the network password.
This completes the work of the wizard, the configuration is completed, as indicated by the corresponding indicator on the router or control panel, if any. It should be noted that the network name and password must be case sensitive.
Method 3 - through a router with USB
This method is designed for the case when the PU does not support wireless communication, but the router has a USB port for connecting it. Of course, to connect it, these two ports need to be connected with a USB cable. To implement this method, you need to know the exact name of the printer and the local address of the router, which for Windows will act as a network PU. The latter is usually difficult for many users to find out. Therefore, before moving on to setting up a connection via wifi, we will briefly dwell on this problem.
This is done as follows. You need to call the command line mode and enter ipconfig as a command. In response to this, a lot of information is issued, but only one line is of interest - the main address of the gateway, since it is a router:
In this case, the connection setup begins with adding a new printer to the LAN configuration. This can be done using "Start" - "Devices and Printers" or through the Control Panel. As a result, you need to achieve a window with two options - add a local or network printer. Next, we perform the following actions:
- We select the first option, and after clicking the "Next" button, the system asks to set the port. We select the option “Create a new port” and select “Standard TCP / IP Port” from the list that appears.
- Then a window appears with the connection parameters of the PU. In it, you need to set the local address of the device (and this is the address of the router that we already received) and the port name. As the last one, you can use the router address again (by default) or set your name. The polling flag does not need to be changed.
- Next, Windows proceeds to search for the specified port and install the drivers. It is possible that the port will not be found, then the system will ask you to provide additional information about the PU. In particular, it will be necessary to set “Device Type” - “Special”, and the protocol - “1.Raw”.
- Then the installation of the PU driver begins. It occurs similarly to the installation of drivers for other devices - indicating the manufacturer and model of the device. If the driver is already installed earlier, then a request will follow, you must use the already installed one, or replace it with a new one. You also have to answer the question about the name of the PU.
- Upon completion of the driver installation, the system will ask whether this printer should be shared. Since it is connected to a router, access to which all objects of the local network have access to, setting it up as a general one does not make sense.
- On the last page of adding a device, you will be asked whether to use it by default or not, and it is also suggested to print a test page.
Method 4 - connect to a laptop
This way to connect the PU is to connect it to a laptop configured in access point mode. In fact, this is method 3, in which the laptop plays the role of a router, so it is not considered here. In addition, this is not a very convenient option, as it forces you to keep the laptop constantly on.
Configure WPS connection
- On the WiFi printer, use the navigation keys to enter “Wi-Fi Settings", or "Wireless connections". Then in this section, select the connection method "Wps».
- Next, go to the router. Click and hold the "Wps»Until you see the indicator blinking.
- Back to the wireless printer. Click "OK"And hold. You can release it after a message appears stating that the device is connected.
Option number 2: Connect by entering the SSID and password
This method is suitable for all printers that have a display.
- We go into the menu and select the settings (Setup). Click on the section "Wi Fi Settings».
- Next, click on "Wifi installation», «Wi-Fi Setup Wizard».
- You should see a list of wi-fi networks. Enter your SS>
After completing all the steps correctly, you will see that the Wi Fi icon lights up in green.
Option number 3: Connect without entering a password
Your printer with a wi-fi module but no display? It doesn’t matter, it is possible to make a connection without entering a key and your SSID. Now we show how to do it.
- Click once on the Wi-Fi button. It will blink, which means that the device is trying to connect to the wi-fi network.
- Now we take a router and we press the WPS button. With this click, you give permission to connect the device that will try to connect. In our case, this is a printer.
- If synchronization is successful, the button on the printer will turn green.
How to connect a printer via wi-fi, in which there is no Wi-Fi module
Alas, the old and budget models often do not have a built-in Wi-Fi adapter. Therefore, you will have to use another option to connect the printer via wifi. Now we will show it.
Let's find out how you can connect the printer to a computer using the USB port in the router. For this method, you must have: a printer, a USB cable, a router with a USB port. You should also know the name of the printer and the IP address of your router.
It’s easy to find out the IP of the router, just start the command line by typing in “Search"Team"cmd". In the command line that appears, type the command "ipconfig". Interested in the string "Main gate", Opposite it will be written the IP address of the router.
You now know how to find out the IP address of a router, but see how to change the IP address of a computer external and internal in our previous article.
- Plug the USB cable into the device jacks. Turn on the router first, and after 2-3 minutes, start the printer. You can’t turn it on at the same time, you must do everything as described above.
- Connect the PC to the router using a patch cord or Wi-Fi.
- Enter the main settings menu of the router in the "Network map". Look there, the printing device appeared or not. If so, then proceed to further settings on the computers that will use this printer for printing.
We configure printing on all computers
Let's get down to the settings on computers that will print files wirelessly. For an example, we will show on Windows 10.
- We enter intoStart», «Options», «Devices».
- On the left side, click on the "Printers and scanners», «Add a printer or scanner».
- Next, click on the line "The required printer is not listed.».
- After clicking a new window will appear, put a dot in front of the line "Add a printer by its TCP / IP ....". Now you need to enter the data in paragraph "Device type"Expose"TCP / IP device», «Name or IP Address"Prescribe the IP of the router (as we wrote above in the article),"Port name»Will be automatically registered itself. Checkmark "Interrogate the printer and select ....»Must be removed.
- Do not be alarmed, you will receive a message saying that he does not see such a printer. Do not pay attention to him, put a dot “Special"And click on"Options».
- Put the dot "Lpr", And in the field"Queue Name»Write what name you want. Click "Ok», «Further».
- Next, you need to install the driver of your printing device. Insert the disc into the drive and click “Install from disk ...».
- In the window "Using shared printers"Put a dot"No sharing ...". That's all, try to print something. This setting needs to be done on all computers from which they will print.
How to print on Android OS
Perhaps the most convenient way is to use Google Cloud Print. This service is free, you just need to bind the printer to a Google account, which almost everyone who has Android has it. After you bind, you can print from any gadget that is authorized in your account and connected to the network.
How to connect a printer that cannot be connected to a router
If your printing device does not have the desired output or does not support this connection method, then connect through one of the computers.
This PC will be connected to the router via the LAN port, and a USB connection will be made to the printer. It will act as an intermediary on the network between the printer and all computers on the network. The disadvantage of such a connection is that this computer must always be on so that there is always communication with the printer.
To configure this method, you must:
Connect both devices with a special cable and install the printer driver on the PC.
- Go to "Start», «Control Panel», «Equipment and sound», «Devices and Printers". Printer icons appear, click on the right PCM and select "Printer Properties". From the top sections, click "Access". Put a bird "Sharing this printer».
- Click "To apply», «OK».
- Next, from any laptop, enter the local area network on the PC to which the printer is connected. By the way, you can read how to connect computers to a local network in Windows 10, 7. Find the shortcut of the printing device on it, click RMB on it and select "Use by default". Now always on command "Print»Printing will occur automatically on the selected printer.
That's all, how easy it is to connect the printer to a laptop via wifi without a wifi adapter, we showed. If for some reason your laptop doesn’t connect to the network, then read the article: How to connect WiFi on a laptop or PC Windows 10, 8, 7.